Erta Cenko was recently awarded the ESPO Carol Schultz Award and the AGHE Student Leadership Award.

Photo of Erta Cenko
Erta Cenko

One of many of our amazing doctoral students, Erta Cenko, recently received two awards from the Gerontological Society of America: The Emerging Scholar and Professional Organization (ESPO) Carol Schutz Award Travel Award to cover the costs of travel to attend the GSA 2022 Annual Scientific Meeting and The Academy for Gerontology in Higher Education (AGHE) Student Leadership Award. This honor is awarded to students who exemplify a commitment to scholarship and advancing the cause of gerontology. 

“These awards are a testament of the wonderful support I have received by my mentors, peers, and the Department of Epidemiology, and I was very humbled to have been selected among nominees from many other US universities,” Cenko said.

The GSA 2022 Annual Scientific Meeting is the largest national and international gathering of gerontologists and other professionals that conduct aging research and was hosted on November 2-6, 2022, in Indianapolis, IN. Cenko was recognized at the ESPO Business Breakfast and the AGHE Business Lunch. She presented on “Instability of Ecologically Derived Mood, Pain, and Fatigue in Older Adults: the ROAMM Study.”

“This is the fourth year I have attended and presented my research at this conference. Each year has been an extraordinary learning experience and has provided numerous networking opportunities. This year, there was a very memorable keynote speech featuring Pulitzer Prize winner Isabel Wilkerson. In addition, I attended some wonderful sessions with topics related to this year’s theme of the meeting: “Embracing Our Diversity. Enriching Our Discovery. Reimagining Aging,” Cenko said.